Community

Whats FRESH? Pacific Quest at the Farmers Market is FRESH!

Pacific Quest Staff and students have begun participating in the Na’alehu Farmers Market every Wednesday from 8:00-11:30 am. We have been steadily providing lettuce, lemon grass and parsley. Also when in abundance we have provided kale, mint, oregano, bananas, papaya, lemons and hot peppers. The PQ produce are quality and sold at a reasonable price! 

Letter From a Neighbor

Pacific Quest wilderness therapy program recently hosted a community visit, which allowed our neighbors and residents in Ka’u (Southern Hawaii) to learn more about our program, to interact with the students and staff, to share lunch, and even join in a land project. We received an unexpected letter from a community member and thought our

Hawaiian Preschool Visits PQ

Last week, Pacific Quest wilderness therapy program hosted a preschool field trip, and the gardens were full of laughter and learning for all ages.  Children and their caregivers visited our camp and gardens to learn about growing food and healthy eating, and in the process our program was enriched with a reminder of the many

4th Annual Keiki Fishing Tournament

By Yvette Slagle, Outreach Assistant This weekend, several people from the Pacific Quest team volunteered at the 4th Annual Keiki Fishing Tournament at Punalu’u Beach Park, which is a famous black sand beach approximately 11 miles from our camp. The event was hosted by ‘O Ka’u Kakou, and Pacific Quest wilderness therapy program was one

A Trademark for the Future

By Travis Slagle, Land Supervisor Pacific Quest wilderness therapy program announces it has been awarded a registered trademark for Sustainable GrowthTM from the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Pacific Quest has received international recognition for innovative treatment for youth and families in crisis and the recent trademark only confirms its ongoing leadership in

The Ohana’s Choice

By Tom De Trolio, Outing Supervisor Recently, the Ohana took an adventure to Honomalino Bay which lies 2,000ft down the scenic 5 mile road leading to Miloli’i, one of the last ancient fishing villages to rely on fishing as a way of life. From the town of Miloli’i, the group hiked about a half mile

Life is What You Make of it

By Kelly Weld, Therapist Being a counselor at an intervention program is a challenging and rewarding task. When students arrive they are lost and desperate, their families are in crisis, and it is our job to help re-align the system in a relatively short period of time. The process feels first like a roller-coaster (with

“Aloha Aina”- To Love the Land

By Travis Slagle, Horticulture Therapy Director To love the land is the oldest and most essential way of life in Hawaii.  The people who care deeply for the land know what it means to be “pono” (to have integrity); they respect the ancestors by continuing their work, by planting the seeds, cultivating the “kalo” (taro),

Pictures Worth A Thousand Words

By Erin Levine, Clinical Admissions Director Every Friday evening when I am winding down my week, I take some time to view the slideshow of pictures that catalogs the activities the students participated in that week. I scroll through hundreds of pictures of busy and smiling faces in the different camps, at different phases of

Health & Wellness Talk Show Features PQ

Dr. Kimo Alameda, Director of the Hawaii Department of Health interviewed three key professionals from Pacific Quest wilderness therapy program in a weekly wellness talk show on the Big Island of Hawaii.  The television program “Rise Above” invites speakers to share information on issues of importance related to health and wellness.  This week’s show focused